Welcome to Snow and Ice week! This week focuses on the properties of water when it changes to snow or ice, rather than on winter weather. Your can learn:
- When the weather turns cold, rain changes to snow.
- Sometimes snow is wet and sloppy, sometimes it is dry and powdery.
- We like to play in snow, making snow angels or snow men.
- When snow melts, it turns back into water.
- We wear extra clothing to keep warm in winter.
- Polar bear and penguins are animals that live in cold areas.
- No two snowflakes are exactly alike.
- Water freezes to make ice. Ice melts to make water.
Learn to Enjoy Winter
Know How to Stay Warm in Cold Weather
Winter isn’t fun when you’re cold. Our parents and grandparents knew about long underwear. Now, no one wears them. We prefer to crank up the thermostat and complain about high heating bills. Dress warmly. Dress your child warmly. Wear long johns around the house, and slippers or shoes instead of going barefoot. Keep the thermostat between 65 and 68 – you’ll save money and do your bit for the environment, as well.
When you send your child outside, always dress him completely. It doesn’t matter if you’re just running to the store for a gallon of milk. You never know when you might be stuck in traffic, or experience car trouble. A small child can suffer hypothermia very quickly. The American Academy of Pediatrics advices to dress children in one more layer than you as an adult would wear. This may include:
- thermal long johns
- one or two shirts
- warm socks
- gloves or mittens
This week, you and your child will make snowmen, stage a snowball fight, go sledding down a small hill, and roast marshmallows over a campfire at the park. Enjoy the season! It will all be over soon enough.
Five-Star Picture Books for Snow and Ice Week
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- The Snow Globe Family by Jane O’Connor
- Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton
- Curious George in the Snow by H.A. Rey
- Snow and Ice by Kay Daview
- Diamond in the Snow by Jonathan Emmett
- The Mitten by Alvin Tresselt
- The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen
- Sneezy the Snowman by Maureen Wright
Quality Products for Snow and Ice Week (optional)
- Lionel Polar Express Caribou Animal Pack
- Wild Republic Natural Poses Polar Bear
- Prokofiev’s Music for Children
- Beck International Children’s Wooden Rocker
- Safari Ltd Penguins Toob
- Safari Ltd Ocen Toob
- Nature Tube: Polar Animals
Free Worksheets to Download
Don’t forget to subscribe – you won’t miss a single update. Thanks for visiting!