This Easter is Coming! Lesson Plan is appropriate for the week leading up to Palm Sunday, for Catholic or Protestant families. The songs include “Mary had a little lamb” and “Baa-baa Black Sheep”. The activities center on sheep, not bunnies. You and your child will learn:
- Sheep are farm animals
- Baby sheep are called lambs
- Mommy sheep are called ewes
- Daddy sheep are called rams
- a group of sheep is called a flock
- Once or twice a year, sheep get a “haircut” that is called “shearing”
- Sheep “hair” is called wool.
- Wool can be spun into yarn to make sweaters and socks and other things
- Sheep eat grass, leaves, clover, and other flowering plants
Jesus is called the Good Shepherd. There is a lot of imagery in the Bible comparing God’s people to a flock of sheep. As your child grows, these concepts will be easier to understand if your child knows something about sheep. I hope you enjoy these activities with your little one, and that you are able to find a sheep farm to visit.
This week, you and your child will make pretty paper eggs, and color eggs with natural food dyes. Like Little Bo Peep, you can hide a small sheep and let your child look for it. Or you can retell the parable of the Lost Sheep instead of reading Bo Peep’s nursery rhyme, and then search for the hidden lamb. Tell your child that God is like a Good Shepherd. He will always look for his lost “lambs” to guide them home.
There are directions for making a simple Lotto game. Lotto is a great game for preschoolers. It is simpler than Candyland, and you can vary the rules so that there are no “winners” and “losers”. You could make a new Lotto board for every week! But if you even just make a couple of them, and rotate them, you can maintain your child’s interest.
Five-Star Christian Easter Books and Sheep Books
- An Easter Gift for Me by Crystal Bowman
- The Story of Easter by Aileen Fisher
- The Easter Story by Jude Winkler
- The Very First Easter by Paul L. Maier
- The Story of the Cross by Mary Joslin
- Lost Sheep: A Touch and Feel Book by Caroline Jayne Church
- Sheep Take a Hike by Nancy E. Shaw
- The Shepherd and the 100 Sheep by Michal Hudak
- Can’t Sleep Without Sheep by Susanna Leonard Hill
Quality Toys and Products for Easter Week (optional)
- Aurora Plush 10″ Lovely Sheep
- Cloud b Sleep Sheep Four Soothing Sounds
- PlanToys Lacing Sheep
- Farm Animals Nature Tube Playset
- Mother and Baby Animal Puzzles
- Farm Families Electronic Sound Game
- The Greatest Adventure Stories from the Bible – Easter DVD
- Classics: Sunday School Songs CD
May you and your family have a happy, blessed Easter!