This week’s lessons center around Day and Night Week.
Young children can learn:
- During the day, we are awake.
- We eat, we play, and we go places.
- At night we sleep.
- Some people have to work at night.
- The sun shines during the day
- The moon and stars are out at night
- When there is light, we cast a shadow.
Can your child think of somebody who does work at night? (police, fire department, doctors in a hospital, etc.) We can sleep more peacefully, knowing that they are on the job.
Teach Your Child to Sing
How is your child’s singing coming along? If your child does not want to sing with you, keep modeling. Keep teaching him the words. Show him the finger plays. Encourage participation. My granddaughter doesn’t really sing yet (she’s 27 months old) but she is starting to do all the motions to “The Wheel on the Bus” when I sing it. She grins broadly. And one day she kind of growled, “round and round” during the refrain! Not long now, and she’ll be ready for the stage!
Seriously, though. We encourage our children not to make them brilliant and talented so much, but as to make them whole. Dr. Suzuki didn’t want to raise a nation of violin virtuosos. He wanted to teach children to have a beautiful soul. What an incredible legacy!
Preschool is More than Academics
Parents today are very good about teaching their preschoolers the alphabet, how to count, and how to wash their hands after toileting. These are very important concepts, but there is so much more! Teach your child about music, how to sing, how to listen to and enjoy a wide variety of music. Teach your child art and dance. Teach him to run, skip, crawl, and balance on one foot. Teach her to hang by the monkey bars (flexed arm hang) and do push-ups or chin-ups. Help your child to develop everything! Sound like a full time job? It is. Welcome to parenting!
Great Picture Books for Day and Night Week:
- Time for Bed by Mem Fox
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
- Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch
- Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney
- Black? White! Day? Night! A book of Opposites by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
- Catholic Prayer Book for Children
- Sleepy Book by Charlotte Zolotow
- Twilight Comes Twice by Ralph Fletcher
- Night Monkey Day Monkey by Julia Donaldson
Five-Star Products for Day and Night Week (optional)
- Wooden Dollhouse with Furniture
- Lullaby: A Collection by Various Artists
- The Most Soothing Lullabies in the Universe
- Sleep Sound in Jesus: 18 Gentle Lullabies
- Cloud b Twilight Constellation Night Light
- Sleep Sheep on the Go + Free Baby CD
- Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Sooth and Glow Seahorse